[H-GEN] CHIP SPEED

BRAND, Frank Frank.BRAND at suncorp-metway.com.au
Wed Feb 11 21:06:01 EST 1998

Just some trivia I found interesting and maybe will interst some of you.

In the latest issue of Linux Journal there is an article on S.u.S.E.
V5.0 (which, like most LJ reviews is highly positive). The bit I found
interesting was a bit on kernel compile times:-

	Pentium 166 (64 MB memory)  	7 min 15 sec

	AMD K6-166 (64 MB memory)	6 min 12 sec

	Pentium II 300 (96 MB memory)	2 min  43 sec

Certainly some evidence in confirmation of the folklore that says an AMD
chip is faster than the equivalent Pentium. Some folklore says that AMD
is faster than the equivalent P (II) but I have not found strong
evidence for that.

Frank Brand,  Transformation Project  SUNCORP-METWAY Ltd.

Phone: +61 7 3836 1942      Fax:+61 7 3836 1021   E-Mail:
frank.brand at suncorp-metway.com.au
The contents of this message are the views of the author and do not
necessarily reflect the views of SUNCORP-METWAY Ltd.