[H-GEN] Scanning software, video manipulation etc

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Mon Feb 9 07:31:10 EST 1998

Steve Pinel wrote:

> Can anyone tell me of any good scanning software, video manipulation
> software and image manipulation etc that may be available for Linux?  The
> scanner we have operates on the SCSI bus, if that info is of any use.

Corel is available if you want to pay (I have always been a Corel fan in
win systems but have not used it in Linux. It would surprise me if it
was anything less than great). I really like ImageMagick but it might
not be able to do all the manipulation you want and I don't know about
scanning support. However, I have been mightily impressed with The Gimp.
I think there is a scanner plug-in (from memory) and the manipulations
and plug-ins are numerous. Can't be that far from the stable version 1.0
either. I found version 0.54 a bit buggy but the latest version 0.99
seems much better. Xview is superb for what it is but probably wouldn't
really qualify as image manipulation unless your requirements were
rudimentary. The Gimp, tho, is the closest thing you will get to Adobe
Photoshop in free software afaik.
--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au