[H-GEN] More on -> A simple mail problem

Nickolas Kwiatkowski nickolas at fit.qut.edu.au
Fri Dec 4 18:18:59 EST 1998

Hi Ron,

I think you have better luck using the pre-compile version of runsocks
that computing services provides.

ftp://ftp.qut.edu.au/pub/ip-charge/unix/

It is seting up to use the IVC that qut has in place.

Regards,

Nik

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, R B wrote:

> After the initial plea I have contacted the QUT student help desk. They
> were most helpfull in that win 3.1, 95, 98, and NT needs a program
> "autosocks" so that the netscape's mail handler can get through the
> firewall.
> For Linux I was told that I need a SOCKS program from sunsite.unc.edu.
> I have it from there but it does not compile properly for me. Maybe the
> Makefile needs a tweak which is a little beyond me. I cannot see what is
> causing it to fail.
> <http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/misc/socks-linux-src.tgz>
> (1994)
>
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated including any setting up
> which it needs.
>
> Ron
>

> R B wrote:
> >
> > A little help needed finding the right setting to enable access to my
> > mail handler.
> >
> > I am trying to get from questnet qut to my external mail in that bigpond
> > place.
> > I have the proxies setup in netscape 4.04 (linux) to
> > proxy.qut.edu.au
> > and port 3128
> > for FTP, Gopher, HTTP, and the SOCKS host has port 1080 but no host.
> >
> > Does anyone know where I have gone wrong with this configuration?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ron

Nickolas Kwiatkowski                                       ph 61 7 3864 1290
Queensland University of Technology                  nickolas at fit.qut.edu.au
Brisbane, Australia                     http://www.fit.qut.edu.au/~nickolas/