[H-GEN] Boot from floppy

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Mon Aug 31 23:54:49 EDT 1998

Craig Eldershaw wrote:

> In any case, it wouldn't explain failing to boot from a boot floppy (as
> Steve said failed).  Speaking of which, I forgot to ask: Steve, what
> did happen when you attempted booting with the boot floppy ?  A
> complaint about unable to mount root file system ?  Or the "LI..."
> again ?

I found a similar problem when making a boot-disk. If I used dd to
create the boot-disk on a floppy with the file system on it (no lilo)
the disk will hang. If onto a raw disk then the floppy boots OK after
rdev'ing to the correct kernel. If making the boot-disk with a raw disk
use dd, if making from a disk with file system on it use cp.

Further, although LILO must be on one of the first two drives, the
kernel it points to can be anywhere the system allows. However, most
motherboards only allow booting from A: or C: drive (with newer boards
also allowing a CD boot). If your boot sequence is A: and C: or C: and
A: then LILO should reside on the first hard drive to auto-boot. Have
you put LILO on the floppy?

--
Frank Brand