[H-GEN] printing motd a page at a time

Laurence J. Rietberg lr at cltr.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 24 08:44:00 EDT 1998

Dear List,

I use RH Linux, release 5.1; kernel v.2.1.117 on a dual-Pentium PC.

Printing the motd a page at a time sounds straightforward enough, but
/etc/motd is supposed to be the message to be printed as used by login(1)
if .hushlogin is not present, so it is not a simple case of creating a small
shell script with cat /etc/motd | more -d or something like that.  Hence,
if the file /etc/motd is greater than a screenfull--too bad, you miss the
all but the end of it.

Anyone have some ideas?  I'm beat with this one.  Recompile login?  (It
would be nice to customize motd to print a page at a time the way it's done
on student.uq.edu.au, for example.)  Thanks.

regards,

Laurence