[H-GEN] [Debian hamm] Help!

Byron Ellacott rodent at homer.humbug.org.au
Tue Aug 11 22:39:18 EDT 1998

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 07:09:34AM +1000, Daehenoc wrote:
> Plesantries aside, i'll confess my ignorance and state my problem:
> Something screwey is going on with telnetd (and pppd) debian was set up @
> humbug to connect to the humbug network, all o.k. BUT i've now got the
> computer home, on my 192.168.1.x network. What happens is this: when I try
> and telnet into this debian machine from other machines, a connection is
> made, but you don't get the login: prompt. (telneting to the machine from
> itself works, 'tho) When I try and run in.telnetd manually, I get this:
dns.  it's trying to resolve 192.168.105.foo and is failing.  add
entries to /etc/hosts - I haven't found any other way around it

> fred:~# in.telnetd
> in.telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket
> and this:
> fred:~# in.telnetd -debug
> bind: Address already in use
> Is this usual?
Yes, it is.  In the first case, you haven't given in.telnetd a socket,
which it sort of likes to have in its usual startup fron
/etc/inetd.conf.  In the second case, it figures you want to bind to
port 23, the standard telnet port, which of course is already bound.

if you're really dead set on running in.telnetd manually, use

in.telnetd -debug <port number to listen on>

--
Byron Ellacott
 - I am a fish, I am a fish, I am a fish, I am a fish, I am a fish, I ...