[H-GEN] GCC/G++ MANUAL

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Tue Aug 11 02:15:50 EDT 1998

Martin Pool wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 06:37:58PM +1000, Frank Brand wrote:
>

> I've never considered the price a top selling point, because to get
> the best use out of it one should probably invest in a good book or
> two.  Of course, ORA books are light-years ahead of a typical
> lusermanual, and the software itself works better.

No, I agree. But some companies do try to make a big deal out of the
cost free bit

> > the commercial interests so heavily now intertwined with Linux, could
> > well drive Linux in a direction that not all the old hackers might like.
>
> I wonder if Debian would go in the same direction?  They seem
> concerned by user-friendliness, but don't (?) have a commercial
> interest in the mass-market.

Remains to be seen but they are in the same market and have to compete
or do they have to compete? What is their future if they opt not to run
on the treadmill?

I probably bore everybody shitless with this kind of stuff (apologies to
all borees) but I happen to have worked in Strategic and Business
Planning for the last decade or so and watching the strategies unfold is
as fascinating to me as coding the kernel is to Linus.

Cheers
--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au