[H-GEN] GCC/G++ MANUAL

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Mon Aug 10 04:37:58 EDT 1998

Does anyone know of a reference site for a GCC/G++ manual in  some
continuous (contiguous?) file (eg, txt format or pdf). The only
references I have are for multi-level menu html files. This makes it
pretty difficult to print.

After using the Borland IDE and even XWpe (which I quite like) this
command line stuff is all a bit confusing.

A suitable alternative might be a more reasonably priced publication.
FSF GCC/G++ manual is $50 US plus postage and handling.

---- ASIDE 1 ------

I find it interesting that a selling point for Linux is that it is free
($Free Martin).

Somehow I don't seem to find a lot of difference in cost in buying the
software and getting the manual thrown in or buying six O'Reilly or SAMS
books and getting the software thrown in.

---- ASIDE 2 -------

I found the discussion on Linux and User Friendliness by AT and MP
interesting but the transmissions were fairly large so, in the interests
of saving a forrest of band-width trees I refrained from continuing.
However, I might make one point. In the "Future of Linux" debate (at
Santa Clara recently I think - and well worth the read of statements and
Q&A's if you have not already done so) Robert Hart (an Aussie I think
and heavily into the PPP Howto if I remember those trauma-filled days)
from Red Hat assumed a starting usage of 7 million Linux users (about 5%
of the PC base) and a recent growth rate of 100% a year to project 20 to
25 million users in  2000. I know that sounds like Red Hat hype and the
stuff you scrape off matador's shoes, but it certainly indicates that
the commercial interests so heavily now intertwined with Linux, could
well drive Linux in a direction that not all the old hackers might like.

TIA.
--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au