[H-GEN] PAP logina

Bruce Campbell B.Campbell at uq.net.au
Fri Aug 7 07:01:27 EDT 1998

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Rob Kearey wrote:

> Byron Ellacott wrote:
>
> > .. and I just spent the better part of 2.5 hours getting SunOS to talk
> > PAP to NT
>
> I'm sorry.

Poor beggar.

> > the (linux) gateway is PAPing to an NT box .. it took a while to get
> > there when the configuration files for pppd were changed, but it now
> > works beyootifully .. what's the problem you're getting?
>
> They are a few clients with vanilla redhat installs who wanna try and
> use PAP to login - as it is, they're using the expect/send stuff on my
> advice 'coz I can't get vanilla RedHat PAP to work. I suspect
> cluelessness on my part. Thanks for your input, El Bruco.

Unfortunately, after I updated a debian machine via apt-get -f install ;
apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade and 90M of downloads later, pppd,
now version 2.3pl5 no longer supports the +ua option (useful for a user to
put their remote (PAP) username and password in a quick temp file or named
pipe without needing to fiddle with /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, ie, being able
to keep your usernames and passwords safe from the other people sharing
the machine).

It (pppd) also doesn't work with Rob Brockway's "I've got 5 phone numbers
and I'm gonna keep trying until I've used them all" ppp script.

And if you want horror stories, I've currently got an ongoing tramua with
our $25,000 selection of 56K digital dialins which just will not
consistently authenticate except for the first hours after a complete
nuking of the thing's configs.  ( That will be written up later, when I
get time to do my book _240V, Its Legal, or Should Be._ )

On the bright side, I can configure one of these things in <3minutes now ;)

--==--
Bruce.