[H-GEN] Sparc Stations

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Tue Apr 7 06:11:06 EDT 1998

Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Peter J. Arnold wrote:
>
> > > For those of you who may have missed it, there are 40 Sun Sprac Stations
> > > for auction tomorrow at Newsteads. They are as follows:-
> > >
> > > SparcStations 4/40  and were working at the time of decommissioning.
> > >
> > > 8 Mb memory
> > > 207 Mb SCSI HDD
> > > 17 inch colour monitor (I think)
> > > Mouse. mouse mat
> > > Keyboard
> > >
> > > They are about 1990 vintage by the looks of things (at least the
> > > monitors I looked at were 1989-91 dates from memory).
> > >
> > > Judging on past prices they might go for around $100 to $200 but
> > > anything can happen at auctions!
> > >
> > > There also appeared to be some external disk drive units there too.
>
> > For those of you who couldn't make it, about 25 of the 40 IPC's were sold (many
> > after auction). Some went for $175, the later sold ones were about $100.
> > Newsteads will keep selling them after auction until as many as possible are
> > sold. So if you are interested ring'um and bid.

The number is in the phone book under Newsteads 3268 2988 from memory but look it
up.

Last I heard they were  asking $200 for a unit ..post auction but maybe they will
negotiate

> Do you have the number?  We should all attempt to prevent biding against
> one another (forcing the price up).
>
> Are they running SunOS now?

I expect so but since they were on a network the software was probably held on the
server. I could not see them operating as they were wrapped in plastic. The quality
looked nice from external appearance. I expect that they either came from a
Government instrumentality or hospital and they look in excellent condition. I did
not measure the monitors but I reckon they were 17" but I am unsure of whether they
are colour or not. Thinking back they may b e b&w , I am not sure.

> I am interrested in the quality (dirty,clean,etc)
> And if they monitor really was 17"
> Cheers,
>         -Robert
>
> --Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, robert at icc.net.au