[H-GEN] Today's reading: The Cathedral and the Bazaar, by esr

Martin Pool mbp at pharos.com.au
Fri Sep 26 04:41:05 EDT 1997

Haven't finished it yet, but it looks interesting.

http://www.ccil.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-paper.html

The Cathedral and the Bazaar

by Eric S. Raymond

$Date: 1997/09/15 22:48:58 $

I anatomize a successful free-software project, fetchmail, that was run as a
deliberate test of some surprising theories about software engineering
suggested by the history of Linux. I discuss these theories in terms of two
fundamentally different development styles, the ``cathedral'' model of FSF
and its imitators versus the ``bazaar'' model of the Linux world. I show
that these models derive from opposing assumptions about the nature of the
software-debugging task. I then make a sustained argument from the Linux
experience for the proposition that ``Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are
shallow'', suggest productive analogies with other self-correcting systems
of selfish agents, and conclude with some exploration of the implications of
this insight for the future of software.

1. The Cathedral and the Bazaar

2. The Mail Must Get Through

3. The Importance of Having Users

4. Release Early, Release Often

5. When Is A Rose Not A Rose?

6. Popclient becomes Fetchmail

7. Fetchmail Grows Up

8. A Few More Lessons From Fetchmail

9. Necessary Preconditions for the Bazaar Style

10. The Social Context of Free Software

11. Acknowledgements

12. For Further Reading

13. Version