[H-GEN] Tag RAM and lots of memory

Frank Brand fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 25 21:17:55 EDT 1997

Matthew Tippett wrote:

> Martin Pool wrote:
> >
> > I read something a while ago which more or less said:
> >
> >    If you put more than 64MB in a PC, you have to buy more tag
> >    RAM/cache/something else or it will slow right down.  PCs
> >    can't normally cache the memory above 64MB.

snip

> How much cache you need for a given amount of memory depends
> on your MB manufacturer.  Most that I have seen let 256k
> support
> up to 64 MB.
>
> Some newer motherboards have 512k on by default.  You should
> be able to get the person who sold you the board supply the
> information from their suppliers.  It may also be in the
> motherboard manual.

Actually the Vi (AMD 640) chipset that I mentioned in my reply to Martin
Pool will support on board cache of 2 Mb and the new FIC motherboards
using it (2006 to 2011 series from memory) are claimed to be the fastest
socket 7 boards around. I think one of the Shuffle boards also has the
Via chipset. However, this informaton is not total founded as the boards
have been prototypes and have not been seen by too many testers. (See
Tom's Hardware Page for motherboard tests and also information on the 64
Mb problem with Intel TX chipsets etc)
--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au