[H-GEN] Mail problems.......

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 22 10:44:36 EDT 1997

Oh no, replying to myself. :)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Robert Brockway wrote:
> For a modem using hw compression, the computer modem speed should

That should read computer<-->modem speed.  I've forgotten the 'real
name'for it.  Was it DCE or something?

> be >= 4 times the modem bps rate.  for 28k8, use 115k, for 14k4 use 56k,
> etc.

Yep, 4 times is the plan, otherwise you'll hit a ceiling during periods
of good compression.

> > 	- Can your ISP really cope with such a large MTU? Robert's
> > 	  scripts uses a (somewhat low) value of 296, the default is
>
> Ah, yes.  I have been using 296 for sometime, so it ended up as default
> in the script.  I'll be changing this.

I don't do nearly as much interactive work over a modem as I used to,
so I can stand 1.5k chunks now.  It is alot more effecient for ftp,etc.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway. Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, robert at icc.net.au
                          r.brockway at mailbox.uq.edu.au, robert at plugged.net.au