[H-GEN] pppd/chat (was: Repost : Chat HELP !)

Anthony Towns aj at humbug.org.au
Fri Sep 19 06:15:20 EDT 1997

Since this didn't seem to get through the first (ie the second)
time...

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Anthony Towns wrote:

> From: Anthony Towns <aj at humbug.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [H-GEN] pppd/chat (was: Repost : Chat HELP !)
>
> ----------------------- HUMBUG General List --------------------------------

Well. That's what you get when you copy your mail filters back and
forget to do the same thing to all the programs they use.

Anyway.

This was in response to the
	# pppd connect "chat -r ppp-connect-errors -v -f chatfile"
	-r command not found
problem.

What I had intended to say was:

This works fine on my system (unlike my mail filters, evidently). Or
at least it seems to. I didn't go through with the whole chat
sequence, and nor did I try negotiating a PPP connection. De rien.

I'd suggest you try just running the chat(1) command directly from the
prompt (and typing the appropriate responses to its commands). I
couldn't ^C out of it, so it'd be a good idea to keep another root
shell open to "killall chat" it.

If that works, I'd say you've got a problem with your quotes or
similar.

Otherwise, an exact cut and paste of what you typed would be handy...
(the "> " that most shells prompt you with after the "\" was missing
in the one quoted :)

Failing that, if you can make it to the meeting on saturday, ask me or
someone else there.

Or you could bypass all these hassles by trying out Robert's Wonderful
Script.  <http://www.uq.eud.au/net-support/faq/appndx1.htm>. Towards
the bottom. In a shar(1) archive (!) (which has real problems when
your web browser wordwraps it for you...).

Cheers,
aj

- --
Anthony Towns <aj at humbug.org.au> <http://student.uq.edu.au/~s343676/>