[H-GEN] AMD K6 Chip

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 8 03:05:42 EDT 1997

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, In memory of Mighty wrote:

Quite a bit of info has beren sent in various posts, come accurate,s ome
not :)  i've even gomt some stuff not previously mentioned :-)

> 	So down to the knuckle, what are the specs?
>
> 	Speed reletave to something intelish for normal apps:
> 	Speed reletave to something sensible for normal apps:

John said it was approximately the same as a 266Mhz Pentium.  David
Makepeace has pointed out that it doesn't do pipelining.  It also lacks an
fpu, but it is still a damn fine chip for the price and power consumption.

> 	Cost per unit:

John said the production cost is US$29.10 per unit at the moment.  I'm not
sure what price it will cost a consumer.

> 	Other requirements (What do I need to get for the server?):

I'm planing to make one of those the core of a Linux/BSD system.  Just
because it was designed to be a NC doesn't mean that is all it can be :-)

> 	Functionality (What does it run?):

NetBSD has been ported.  Linux is in the process of being ported.

> 	Sofware availabilty:

Apparently NetBSD is the OS that will be running on the NCs (with X as a gui).
There will be lots of gui stuff to keep NetBSD hidden from the end user.
So I can see alot of stuff being ported to NetBSD/X.  Those on fast links
would d/l large parts of the OS when the NC is booted.  Flash roms might
be available for those on slower links.

> 	Can it run a UNIX variant????:

See above :-)

> 	Any other pertinant details:

The only significant use of an fpu on most peoples machines (apart from
games) is font rendering in X.  I expect they will use a font server to
get around this problem.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway. Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, president at humbug.org.au