[H-GEN] AMD K6 Chip

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 8 02:52:46 EDT 1997

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Martin Pool wrote:

> IIRC, the NC design is publicly released, _not_ the chip design.  The chip
> is a Digital/ARM StrongARM, which is an absolutely beautiful little thing:
> much cheaper and cleaner than an intel.  (Can you imagine running a PPro
> off AA batteries? :-)  The NC's kind of an application note on how to use
> the StrongARM.

NetBSD has already been ported to the StrongARM, and Linux is in the
process of being ported.  One small disappointment is that there is no
fpu, but that is only the prototype board, so a future version may well
include one (external if not internal).  All in all an excellent
chip/board design, and I want one :-)  When he gets back to the US, John
Hall is mailing me the Australian price from digital.  A local
manufacturer may well start producing the boards, who knows.  These things
could really impact on the home computer market, having what I consider a
very favourable effect.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway. Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, president at humbug.org.au