[H-GEN] Slow telnet and ftp ??

David Shackleton dshackle at pineapple.goldenglow.com.au
Thu Oct 30 22:56:42 EST 1997

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Aaron Howell wrote:
> There's an easier way to do this.
> Take out the line that says paranoid from /etc/hosts.deny, or, alternatively recompile your tcp wrappers without it.
> This stops it trying to do reverse lookups, it will trust hosts to be nice and not spoof.
> On Thu, Oct 30, 1997 at 08:34:37PM +1000, David Shackleton wrote:
> > I've simply declared in /etc/named.boot a primary record for the subnet in
> > question, and as my host isn't authoritive for the subnet, there shouldn't
> > be any dns out there replicating it.  Sped things up amazingly.

Thanks Aaron, but as per the previous post (below), I didn't want to
disable it -completely-, as I don't want it to trust hosts, even if they
are nice and friendly...  ;-)

> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:37:27 +1000 (EST)
> From: David Shackleton <dshackle at pineapple.goldenglow.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Slow telnet and ftp ??
>
> Is there a simple way to disable the reverse lookups for a whole subnet,
> without disabling idents completely?

Cheers,
David

David Shackleton                      <dshackle at goldenglow.com.au>
Systems Analyst/Programmer           http://www.goldenglow.com.au
Queensland Biochemics Pty Ltd           <market at goldenglow.com.au>
trading as Golden Glow Health Products  <orders at goldenglow.com.au>
 /  `-' `.     home   Shackleton's Dilemma:
/         * <- sweet   I really should get back to work. I'll have
\_,---._,'     home    to put off procrastinating until tomorrow.