[H-GEN] mail

James Mcpherson J.McPherson at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 21:25:38 EST 1997

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, John Boggon wrote:

> From: John Boggon <John.B at mailbox.uq.edu.au>
> To: Humbug General List <general at humbug.org.au>
> Subject: [H-GEN] mail
>
> Hi again,
>
> My next problem concerns mail. I've read all the docs and How-to's I can
> find on configuring sendmail but I can't get it to work with my mailbox at
> UQ..... What configuration files do I need to modify to enable sendmail to
> connect and send and receive mail via pop3 ?. Is sendmail the right
> transport agent to use ? I have a feeling that my machines name and alias
> setup is incorrect. Messages I send are bounced back with an error saying
> something like Dragon (my machine name).dialin.net.uq.edu.au ( the values I
> entered when setting up Slackware on my system) is an invalid domain name,
> Which is understandable.... So I tried running sendmail with the -f flag
> followed by my UQ email address but it made no difference.

Actually John, your dialup machine name is :

nslookup zzjboggo.dialin.uq.net.au
Server:  krefti.cc.uq.edu.au
Address:  130.102.2.15

Name:    zzjboggo.dialin.uq.net.au
Address:  203.101.236.75

note that the domain name is uq.net.au, not net.uq.edu.au -- reflecting
Prentice's commercial arm ;)

--
 I do not speak for the University of Queensland or the University Library
J.McPherson at mailbox.uq.edu..au   | this space _not_ for rent.