[H-GEN] 'C' code help needed

Martin Pool mbp at pharos.com.au
Sun Oct 26 18:36:56 EST 1997

> I'd highly recommend _Writing Solid Code_ by Steve Maguire, published by
> Microsoft Press, which covers a number of risky C constructs slightly more
> obscure than neglecting to NUL terminate your strings or putting "break"s
> in your "case" statements.
>
> Yes, I'd recommend it highly enough to use the word "Microsoft", on this
> list, in a positive light, without even mixing it up with a Disney
> trademark.
>
> It's _that_ good.
>
> Seriously.
>
> _Code Complete_, by Steve (?) McConnell also published by MS Press isn't
> bad either.

Definitely seconded, and also "Debugging the Development Process" by
Steve McConnell and "Dynamics of Software Development" by Jim
McCarthy.  Those four excellent books are the most technically
credible things I've ever seen come out of Microsoft: very inspiring.
Not that they care, of course.

------
Martin Pool

comp.lang.c infrequently asked questions:

11.6: Why does everyone say not to use gets()?

     Because they're trying to spoil your fun. gets() can make an otherwise
     droll and predictable program a lot more exciting.