[H-GEN] recovery of deleted files

Jason Parker ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au
Sat Oct 25 00:08:23 EDT 1997

> Is it possible to recover files thst you have removed from your
> system?  cos I did hear that there was a way of doing this as root.
> Is this true?

Yes.

You get out your backup tapes/disks/whatever, and restore them.  :P

What's that?  You've not backed up?  Silly you.  Well, that gets just
a little bit more complicated.  I assume that you're talking about
Linux.

Well, you *could* go through the disk, and edit the filesystem.  :)
But this probably not what you're after.  :)  There is /planned/
support to undelete files under ext2fs in some later version (look at
the manpage for |chattr|) but currently there is no official support
for such an operation---if you deleted a file, then there is nothing
you can do, unless you're a unix Guru.

Afaik.

Jason
ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au

-----
`What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a wall that
people have stopped banging their heads against?' -- Larry Wall
ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au  |  NetHack player^H^H^H^H^H Addict.
Ascended:  Priest(2), Valkyrie(1), and Caveman(1) Next:  Rogue.
/Real/ games run under *Unix*.  cf:  NetHack, Doom, Quake, etc.