[H-GEN] Creating a memory hole

David Jericho davidj at meesha.humbug.org.au
Fri Oct 17 03:35:20 EDT 1997

In a vain attempt to make my room passable to others, I came across
an old Creative Labs Video Blaster SE.

Now I've got a sudden urge to play with it again. But alas, there is a
problem. The Video blaster likes to steal the 16th MB of RAM for use in
its own frame buffer. Potential problems are obvious.

As much as I'd like to believe that a PPro is capable of dishing out
24-bit color PAL resolution images at 30fps over a plain ISA bus using
16-bit port IO, I find it a trifle hard.

Does anyone know how to make Linux reserve a certain memory region for the
ISA bus via the bootprompt? i.e. BIOS style memory holes. Failing that,
does anyone have any good pointers for writing a driver that will reserve
memory blocks?

--
David Jericho