[H-GEN] routing

Eric Hornsby eric at bremer.qld.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 19:03:23 EST 1997

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, John Boggon wrote:

>  I have a problem thats been bugging me for a while and I can't find whats
> causing it. Below are the results of a netstat -r on my machine after I
> bring my ppp link up.
>

> Destination     Gateway         Genmask            Flags   MSS Window  irtt
> Iface
> annex27.cc.uq.e *               255.255.255.255    UH      296    0
> 0    ppp0
> localnet                *               255.255.255.0         U      1500
> 0            0    eth0
> 127.0.0.0             *               255.0.0.0                  U      3584
> 0            0    lo
> default    annex27.cc.uq.e    0.0.0.0                     UG      296   0
> 0    ppp0
>
> The first entry is the troubling one... Someone in this group pointed out a
> while ago that this could possibly be an error ( netscape problems) The mask
> looks wrong and I don't think I should have two entries for ppp0. If I bring
> the ppp link down both entries disappear.
>
> I've checked all my ppp startup files (chatscript etc) and can't find the
> place where it's set up. According to the route man page, the flags UG mean
> link is up and use GATEWAY and UH mean target is a host.
>
> This problem does not seem to affect my internet link at all. Masquerading
> is working, ping , telnet etc all work ok from both my machines.
>
> The only thing I can think of that might possibly be responsible is my
> nameserver.. On the other hand, This could be perfectly normal and I'm
> wasting my time and everyone's bandwidth on a non-existent problem.
>
> Anyone got any ideas ?
>
> John.

Hi John

I think it's normal to have the two routes appearing for your ppp0.
The first (on your netstat output is a host specific route (hence the
all 1s netmask) for the host on the other end of your ppp link.

The second is your default route - ie where all packets not addressed to
your localnet or localhost will go to.  This should be set up for you by
the defaultroute option either in your script call to pppd or in your
/etc/ppp/options file.

Correct me if I'm wrong...hope this helps
Eric