[H-GEN] syslog

Geoffrey D. Bennett g at netcraft.com.au
Fri Nov 7 05:38:55 EST 1997

> >Most of the solutions so far have fixed a problem,
> >not stopped it occuring.  In the scripts set umask first, then
> >try to find out why syslog has a umask of 022 (or similar).
> >
> >If you stop syslog writing/creating a world readable file then you
> >stop all the associated problems.
>
> My system isn't up at the moment to check...but I'm pretty sure that Syslogd
> won't *create* a file.  It will only open and append to an existing one.

The syslogd man page on my system implies that syslogd does create
files:

       Syslogd  doesn't change the filemode of opened logfiles at
       any stage of process. If a file is  created  it  is  world
       readable. If you want to avoid this, you have to create it
       and change permissions on your own.

Regards,
--
Geoffrey D. Bennett (geoffrey at netcraft.com.au)
Computer Systems Manager, NetCraft Australia