[H-GEN] syslog

Craig Eldershaw ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 07:39:18 EST 1997

>> Obvious question, how do I permanently remove read access from all but root
>
>from / type "rm -rf 2>/dev/null &"

Need a path in there somewhere... no fun otherwise :-)

>seriously, chmod go= /var/log/* (or just the file(s))

That will fix the current permissions...but does the system have a cron job
to rotate the logs ?  If so, then the current file (who's perms you have
corrected) will be mv'ed (retaining perms), but the new one created will
probably go back to the defaults (incl. the world read access).  So if such
log-rotation scripts exist, then they'll need modification too (basically by
adding the chmod line to them).

Cheers,
	Craig.