[H-GEN] QNX, request for info.

Martin Pool m.pool at pharos.com.au
Tue May 20 04:22:06 EDT 1997

> Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 18:11:14 +1000 (GMT+1000)
> From: Jason Parker <ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au>

> Do any Humbuggers know where we (Simon Lusan, Jason Parker) can:
>
>  o Get hold of QNX, and for how much.
>  o Get more information about it in general.  (Does it run GNU stuff?
>    How stable/usable is it really?  Does it coexist happily with
>    Linux/Dos/Win95?)
>  o We know of an X11 release, what's this like?
>
> In short, we're looking into bringing a new Unix along to humbug, but
> I (Jason) for one won't be trashing my beloved Linux (and forsaking
> nethack!) without good reason.

>From what I've heard (I've only used it briefly):

 - it's very stable and very interesting

 - it's not much like "Unix" (whatever that is), and so people with
   Unix experience have a bit to learn to set it up.

 - Students can get it at nominal cost direct from QNX (www.qnx.com?).
   (I think you might need a letter from your department.)  Ask nicely.

 - It can coexist with DOS.

 - The native windowing system is not X11, and arguably better.

 - It should run nicely on Jason's tiny machine, if that's what he had
   in mind.  You can make it do useful things on a 386, apparently.

I haven't seen it for a while.  I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

--
  Martin Pool, Pharos Business Solutions      <m.pool at pharos.com.au>

  "Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true US
  companies like Microsoft." -Some AOL'er.