[H-GEN] /dev/<consoles>

Andrae Muys A.Muys at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Fri Jul 25 04:25:53 EDT 1997

OK, I'm currently trying to roll my own boot disk.  Things are going
alright however I've come up short in the knowledge department.

I'm trying to strip down the /dev to a bare functioning minimum, however I
face the task of deciding which tty/pty/etc devices I actually need.
There are also a number of devices in there that I don't recognise.

Could someone possibly help me identify some of these devices?

cui[0-63]
inportbm
ippp[0-63]
logibm (Is this something to do with logitech?)
nrft[0-3]
nst[0-7]
pty[a-e,p-z][0-f] (I think these are psudeo-terminals, but a. I'm not
sure, and b. I don't really know what a psudeo-terminal is).
ram[0-7] (I know ram, its in the man page, but what are these extra's?)
rft[0-3]
rtc
systty (Is this some sort of syslog tty or something?)
vcs[a][0-63] (I believe these are virtual consoles, but why 64 of them?)

Oh, and by the way, would someone be willing to explain to ignorant old
me, what a tty is and what it's used for, ie why are there so @##%!# many
of them.

Sorry for the bother, but I don't know a m to rtf?

Andrae Muys