[H-GEN] WebPromote Weekly - Subscription Verification

Sid Young bastard at powerup.com.au
Mon Dec 29 17:59:11 EST 1997

At 12:55 28/12/97 +1000, you wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Sid Young wrote:
>> Try sending them an email and threaten to remove their DNS entry if they
>> don't comply, a bluff might work!
>
>Huh?

Sorry, I was in the process of relying to a half dozen spams in my mail box
when I quickly glanced over the humbug post about the list being
subscribed. I normally email the postmaster of the offending domain and
demand they take action or else (in light of the recent flowers.com
debarcle(?) they tend to respond to any threat and take action against the
spammer(s).

As we only received a *verification* request then I will retract my earlier
email (to much Christmas plonk!)...sorry...I'll just crawl back into my sh.

>We've got some smart-alec who adds "general at humbug.org.au" to a
>mailing list, and then we get a subscription verification on the list.

>Yes? I haven't missed anything obvious here, have I?
>
>Am I right in thinking that someone /asked/ for the address to be
>'spammed', then the 'spammer' /double checked/ that we really meant
>it, and we're /complaining/?
>
>I'm _sorry_?
>
>Isn't this exactly what we /want/ to happen?
>
>Personally, I really don't see what people are getting worked up
>about.
>
>(although, if you haven't already, Bruce/Robert, you might like to
>limit posters to subscribed addresses only... [1])
>
>Cheers,
>aj
>
>[1] [2] Another list I'm on has a nice way of handling this --
>    posting is allowed on from subscribed addresses, but subscribers
>    can tell the admin (I don't think it's automated) that they
>    usually post from other addresses. And then they can. (and if
>    anyone tries adding "friend at public.com" or similar, it's at least
>    possible to work out who)
>
>[2] I don't feel like nesting parentheses today.
>

>- --
>Anthony Towns <aj at humbug.org.au> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>
>I don't speak for anyone save myself. PGP encrypted mail preferred.
>
>``NT, Networking, Security. Pick any two (you can't have all three).''
>	-- _The Twelve Networking Truths_, RFC 1925, paraphrased

Sid Young
Linux!, because reboots are only for upgrades!

http://www.synaptic.com.au
n2255291 at student.fit.qut.edu.au