[H-GEN] Hand Held Computers

David Shackleton dshackle at pineapple.goldenglow.com.au
Tue Dec 9 23:37:53 EST 1997

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, A Bruce in the Land of the Bruces wrote:

> Of course, the Palmpilot is $500 odd, the Newton $1200 odd.  Both are
> basically glorified organisers, both are programmable devices (the Newton
> more so) and both support handwriting (the Palmpilot its own, the Newton,
> yours).

"both are programmable devices"

The last time I checked out the Newton's for a programming project (stock
control) there wasn't a lot of choice other than burn a PCMCIA card for
use in the Newton...  has this changed considerably?

There seems to be a greater availability of software development tools at
a non "VAR" level...

correct me if I'm wrong...

> The Newton also accepts most standard PCMCIA cards, and has sound input
> and output.

And an IR port which is rather useful in removing any necessary physical
connection for the device, which I wish the Pilot had.

Cheers,
David

David Shackleton                      <dshackle at goldenglow.com.au>
Systems Analyst/Programmer           http://www.goldenglow.com.au
Queensland Biochemics Pty Ltd           <market at goldenglow.com.au>
trading as Golden Glow Health Products  <orders at goldenglow.com.au>
 /  `-' `.     home   Shackleton's Dilemma:
/         * <- sweet   I really should get back to work. I'll have
\_,---._,'     home    to put off procrastinating until tomorrow.