[H-ANNOUNCE] HUMBUG executive meeting minutes for 2006-07-01

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 17:12:57 EDT 2006

Exec meeting minutes for 2006-07-01.

Meeting started at 15:30.

Present Tim Kent, Mark Suter, David Seikel.  Apologies from Timothy
Hitchens.

Agenda item one - Reimbursements for HUMBUG related expenses.

Mark moves that HUMBUG reimburses Mark Suter $39 for domain name
renewal.  David seconds.  Tim agrees.  Passed unanimously.

Mark moves that HUMBUG reimburses David Seikel $27.80 for cab fare to
get the meeting equipment home.  Tim seconds.  David agrees.  Passed
unanimously.

Mark moves that HUMBUG reimburses Mark Suter $162 for PO box renewal.
David seconds.  Tim agrees.  Passed unanimously.

Cheques to be signed later during the main meeting (David at least is
still waiting for his cheque).

Agenda item two - Discussion about replacement meeting hardware.

David notes that he has been keeping track of the actual usage of the
equipment at meetings, and thinks that we could get away with some
smaller equipment.  Smaller equipment is desirable due to difficulties
in carting the current big, heavy equipment around.  David says that
some of the membership has mentioned that they would run for exec
positions if it wasn't for the onerous task of dragging all that big,
heavy equipment around.

Since a lot of people use wireless on their laptops at meetings, both
hubs could be replaced by 8 way devices and the main switch could be
replaced by a 16 way.  8 way devices on the market currently are a lot
smaller, and considerably lighter then the 24 way devices we use at the
moment.  8 way switches are also quite cheap.

Tim points out that gigabit devices are not much more expensive.

David points out that hydra could be replaced by a shuttle sized box, or
smaller.  Mark objects to having anything smaller, as he wants us to
stick with standard PC equipment.  Mark suggests that hydra should be
allowed to live out it's life and be replaced by something much smaller
once it dies.  It has at least one year left on its warranty.

General agreement that we should replace the switches and hubs with 2 x
8 way gigabit switches and 1 x 16 way gigabit switch.  David to chase up
quotes.  General agreement that we will leave the replacement of hydra
until it's needed due to hardware failure.  All other details to be
discussed on the mailing list.

No further business.

Meeting finished at 15:40.