[H-ANNOUNCE] Minutes

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Sun Sep 19 01:52:07 EDT 2004

Please find attached a number of minutes for the previous year.

Regards,

--
Raymond Smith
Secretary of HUMBUG 2003/2004              mailto:secretary at humbug.org.au
Home Unix Machine - Brisbane User Group    http://www.humbug.org.au/
-------------- next part --------------
   MINUTES OF THE 27 SEPTEMBER 2004 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF
           THE HOME UNIX MACHINE - BRISBANE USER GROUP

The President, Mark Suter, opened the meeting with quorum at 6:14pm and
took up the chair.

Minutes
-------

Greg blacked moved that the minutes from the last AGM be accepted; David
Seikel seconded the motion. The motion was passed unanimously by a show
of hands.

Reports
-------

   President's Report
   ------------------

The President, Mark Suter, reported that the only major news this year was
the changes to room bookings.  UQ's Room Bookings group had an auditor
go through during the year who found that HUMBUG did not fit into any
acceptable category and would have to start paying for the rooms it
used. We explored options including paying for the rooms ourselves, and
various other possibilities. In the end ITS came to the table on our behalf.
The main change that this means is that if there is another event clashing,
such as tournament of the minds, we will cancel the meeting rather than
negotiate access as we have done in the past. THis is because we do not
want to wear our our welcome with ITS.

Byron asked could we not move the room venue? Mark answered that it was
a matter of keeping the least hassle for ITS. We will provide them with
six-months worth of room bookings. If we had some particular date that we
really wanted a meeting then we might ask them again, perhaps offer explicit
sponsorship. Raymond Smith added that typically we are blocked out because
of large events such as ToM or Exams that book the whole University.

The upside of this is that we can do something different and social.
Mark introduced Sarah Hollings as the 'Event Coordinator'. She is organising
a Xmas event. We are looking at social events.

David Seikel asked, 'For the last two months only one meeting a month. Is
this because of ITS?'. Mark responded that it was because we happened to
have two events block us in a row.

Byron asked if the arrangement with Internet Access would be the smae? Mark
answered that it would be.

   Vice President's Report
   -----------------------

Clinton reported that he had even less to say than the president as, with
such a competitent and omnipresent president there was very little too
do. He spent the year acting as check and balance on the executive. The
good news was no hardware failures and all the executive have done a great
job. It was very scary when we did not have a room booking. He stressed
that being Vice-President was a very easy post.

He then asked for questions and received applause for brevity.

   Secretary's Report
   ------------------

Raymond repoted that it had been a fairly quiet year sans room bookings.
He gave a short description of Linux Australia, the national linux group,
and how he had been interacting with them on HUMBUG's behalf. HUMBUG had
sixty-eight financial members as at the AGM. There were no questions.

   Treasurer's Report
   ------------------

Mathew Sellers gave the Treasurer's report for two years.

In 2001 - 2002, we took in $1796 in memberships. Our major costs were
$814.00 for the switch, $41.50 for the PO Box, and $73.00 for a gift to
Bruce Campbell for services such as Zerglal and other things. The major
expenditure was the linux.conf.au $1019.00 primarily due to bookings that
did not go through. For the full year we lost $154.00.

In 2002 - 2003, we took in ??? in memberships. We did not have as many
costs. Highlights were @242.00 for a wireless access link, a new hard
drive for hydra, new cash box, and a resubscription to the Linux Journal
($124.00 US). We finished the year with a surplus of $1024.63 and cash in
the bank of $4158.00.

David Siekel asked whether the pruchase of a new hard drive indicated
some sort of hardware failure? The answer was that there were no hardware
failures.  The purchase of the drive was a preventative measure. There
was some discussion of the general flakiness of hydra.

   Librarian' Report
   -----------------

David Makepeace presented the Librarian's report. A SPARCstation was
donated to the group by Tim Kent and being hosted by him. PI donated a
large number of Linux Journals that were being thrown out.

When we loaned out Just for Fun, the person who borrowed it lost it!
Scott (?) admitted it was he and said he was fairly certain it was in a
box from when he last moved. Would return as soon as possible.

A fully inventory of Linux Journals needs to be completed.

There were also some minor additions of cables, etc to the hardware along
with some cluster machines. Once completed, David planned to send an
inventory on to the executive mailing list.

   Acceptance
   ----------

Timothy Hitchens moved motion to accept the reports; Raymond Smith seconded
the motion. The motion passed unanimously on a show of hands.

Nominations and Elections
-------------------------

   President
   ---------

Mark Suter stepped aside as chair to allow Clinton Roy to handle the
election of President. Clinton called for nominations.

Pat Nichols nominated Mark Suter; the nomination was seconded by Byron
Crowe and accepted by Mark Suter.

As there were no other nominations for president Mark Suter was elected
unopposed. Mark resumed the chair.

   Vice-President
   --------------

Mark Ellem nominated David Siekel; the nomination was seconded by Matthew
Franklin and accepted by David Siekel.

Patrick Nichols nominated Anthony Towns; the nomination was seconded by
Benjamin Fowler and accepted by Anthony Towns.

Raymond Smith nominated Matthew Sellers; the nomination was seconded by
Timothy Hitchens and accepted by Matthew Sellers.

David Seikel asked to address the meeting. He stated his non-core promise
was to do nothing, while his core promise was not to go home until the wee
hours in the morning. He cannot take things home because no vehicle. Anthony
Towns gave a speech putting his feats on record and noting he did not have
a vehicle. Matthew Sellers did not speak.

The candidates left the room and a vote was held with Raymond Smith and
Sarah Hollings counting. The count was:
    David Seikel    14 Anthony Towns   13 Matthew Sellers  4

Therefore, David Seikel was elected Vice-president.

Timothy Hitchens queried if there wasn't an issue with this election in
that if people have no transport, how can they pack up meetings? There
was some discussion on this issue. However, as there was no consitutional
requirement the matter was considered moot.

   Secretary
   ---------

[These minutes originally taken by Clinton Roy]

Clinton Roy nominated Raymond Smith; the motion was seconded by Ben Fowler
and accepted by Raymond Smith.

Clinton Roy nominated Anthony Towns; Anthony Towns declined the nomination.

Pat Nichols nominated Matthew Sellers; James Iseppi seconded the motion
and Matthew accepted.

Nominees left the room, voting comenced. Raymond Smith was succesful. No
count was record in the minutes.

    Treasurer
    ---------

Raymond Smith nominated Timothy Hitchens; Greg Black seconded the motion
and Timothy Hitchens accepted.

As there were no other nominations, Timothy Hitchens was elected unopposed.

       Librarian
       ---------

Sarah Hollings nominated David Makepeace who declined the nomination.

Matthew Franklin nominated Matthew Sellers; David Makepeace seconded and
Matthew accepted.

Patrick Nichols nominated Greg Black who declined the nomination.

As there were no other nominations Matthew Sellers was elected unopposed.

Motions on Notice and General Business
--------------------------------------

Mark moved:

 That section 6a) of the constitution be amended to read:

     "The membership fee is $20.00 for one year or part thereof,
      and falls due the 31st day of August or the next AGM
      whichever is the latest."

The motion was seconded by Patrick Nichols Mark moved. Clinton Roy asked
for the rationale for increasing membership fees. Mark outlined the two
reasons: first it is a less confusing fee, and second that fees have remained
static for just on eight years.  The change was seen as preventative with
respect to future costs.  We have four grand in the bank, but we need to
replace hydra, and there are other known expenses. Raymond mentioned the
possibility of having to pay fees on rooms in the future, Mathew pointed
out that if that had of happened we would have been unable to pay out of
reserves within six months.

Someone from the floor asked about the effect of lack of tiered system. Would
people still be inclined to join? Mark responded that we were looking at
that as being a membership joining fee.  Byron asked how many five and
ten dollar memberships. Matthew could not answer.

The motion was put and passed 33 in favour with 3 opposed.

As a follow-on Mark Suter moved that membership remain at $15.00 for people
at the meeting that night. David Seikel seconded the motion.  The motion
was put and passwed 23 in favour with 8 opposed.

Mark then moved and Raymond Smith seconded the second motion on notice,
 being:

 That section 6b) of the constitution be amended to read:

     "Membership fee changes shall be made by way of a majority
      vote at an SGM."

There was some discussion. Raymond opposed the motion because he felt it
provided protection to club members. Clinton opposed the motion because we
have never had problems wit hthis provision. Mark pointed out that such a
change would cause other constitutional problems. There was a discussion
of what simple majority meant.

After some debate, Raymond moved that the motion be put and Greg Black
seconded.

The motion was defeated 22 opposed, 7 for.

Mark then moved the third motion being:

     "That to remove any conflict of interest, or perceived
      conflict of interest, the membership of the club resolve that
      the partnership of Bruce Campbell, Raymond Smith, and
      Mark Suter (ABN 77 442 238 916) be compensated at cost for
      traffic charges incurred by HUMBUG equipment hosted by them
      on presentation of a valid Tax Invoice.

Clinton described the situation regarding traffic spikes due to apparent
DoS attacks against caliburn. Raymond pointed out that the motion was
being put because of the conflict of interest -- it was within the power
of the executive to pay this money anyway. There was much discussion about
exact cost (0.14 / incomming megabyte + $66.00 / RU / quarter). After this
discussion, Clinton seconded the motion.

Ben Fowler pointed out maybe a co-host in US better solution.  Timothy
Hitchens pointed out DoS not covered by pricing. Could still go over
2Gb. Could still be charged. Discussion continued on hosting options.

Finally, Ben Fowler moved that the motion be put; the motion was seconded by
Greg Black seconds it. Mark, Raymond and Sarah did not count votes because
of conflict of interest. Clinton Roy and Timothy Hitchens provided the count.

The motion passed 22 for with five abstentions (including Bruce Campbell
(via proxy), Mark Suter, Raymond Smith, and Sarah Hollings).

There followed a motion from the floor. Paul Clarke moved

    That the partnership be reimbursed for the traffic
    spikes of August and September 2003 to the sum of
    $167.79 and $205.53 respectively.

Anthony Towns seconded the motion. Matthew Franklin asked if there were
ways to prevent the traffic that was causing the problems. Mark answered
that UQ can block the traffic, but we would still be paying for it. Pointed
out that it is like SPAM, one has to receive it to identify it.

Anthony asked that the motion be put; Ben Fowler seconded.  The motion
passed 20 for with seven abstentions (including Bruce Campbell (via proxy),
Mak Suter, Raymond Smith, and Sarah Hollings).

Close
-----

As there was no futher business the meeting closed.
-------------- next part --------------
             MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MEETING OF HUMBUG
                       HELD 18 SEPTEMBER 2004

Executive present:
    David Siekel (Vice-President)
    Timothy (Treasurer)
    Raymond Smith (Secretary)
    Matthew Sellers (Librarian)

Other members:
    Robert Brockway (proxy for Mark Suter, President)
    Andrae Muys (Talks Maintainer)

Apologies:
    Mark Suter (President)

The meeting opened at 10:20am

Presentation of proxy
---------------------

Mark Suter's proxy to Robert Brockway was presented to and accepted
by the meeting participants.

Discussion of caliburn outage
-----------------------------

When this meeting was called caliburn was still down with the distinct
possibility of having failed completely. Since then, the hard drives
had been replaced and the machine seemed to have come back up. We cannot
be sure that the drives were the only problem, but indications are good
so far. Robert Stanford had supplied an IDE controller as well as the
drives, but Mark and Raymond felt that if the onboard controller was
faulty chances were that the mother board was going to fail in other
ways and so there was little point.

There was some discussion on the value of performing forensics on the
drives. Overall feeling was that there was the time cost outweighed any
value as even if there were problems with the drive it does not rule out
problems with caliburn itself. Also, Miju Systems want their drives back.

Robert Brockway pointed out we should delete any data on the drive. There
was some discussion of alternatives to do this. Raymond asked, and David
agreed to perform this data-wipe.

ACTION: Raymond to deliver caliburn HDD to David Seikel
ACTION: David Seikel to wipe data off drives and return to Raymond
ACTION: Raymond to deliver caliburn HDD to Miju Systems

Discussion of mitigation, and Robert Brockway's offer of hosting

Robert Brockway started by discussing his offer. He has access to machines
with extra static IPs, and to machines with extra bandwidth. Not in same
place (static IPs in .au on an ADSL link, bandwidth in Canada). Very happy
to help with hosting some of HUMBUG's needs. Noted that machine likely to
be a FreeBSD box.

There was some discussion of the technical merits of BSD Jails versus UML.
The key point being that UDP services (such as DNS) are not possible for
BSD Jails. Noted that it would be prudent for DNS to be seperate anyway,
and that Bruce Campbell, Raymond Smith, and Mark Suter would be happy for
their equipment to continue in this role.

Timothy Hitchens may also be able to offer some sort of assitance. David
Seikel noted that Greg Fairbrother may also be able to offer assitance.
Raymond noted there had been no responses to his post to the HUMBUG list.
David said he has forwarded the email to Greg Fairbrother.

Timothy Hithchens asked if we really wished to mitigate and what we wanted
to mitigate. Was agreed that the critical application is email. Web has less
consequence. Robert noted that we have always worked on a best-effort basis;
although there is no reason not to try harder members must bear this in mind
when considering the reliability of aliases.

Raymond raised the possibility of using a virtual hosting service like
the virtual-net firm recommended by Brad Marshall.

There was some further discussion of hosting options and the technicalities
therein.

David Seikel raised an objection to an environment where non HUMBUG members
have shell access. It was pointed out that all alternate arrangements proposed
so far would have such a possibility. Specifically, that Robert's partner
is not a HUMBUG member. David suggested we could require people to become
HUMBUG members. Other people present did not think this was reasonable --
it would rule out many commercial hosting providers, and other firms that
might be able to help. After some discussion, David withdrew his objection.

Timothy Hitchens raised an idea of master and slave nodes. Agreed this was
a good plan. Dynamic content, especially user database bothers Tim.

The topic of cost recovery was raised. General agreement that HUMBUG should
be prepared to pay reasonable costs incurred by people offering us assitance.
(This would be the approach of Robert Brockway, and is the approach currently
taken with caliburn.) Timothy suggested use of a pool of money to reward
people who assist in addition to cost recovery. This proposal did not receive
support.

Raymond raised some specific issues around caliburn: the hardware is not
the clubs, we will need to replace it some day. He felt that the service
level agreement of a hosting provider would be a better way to spend money
than buying new hardware.

Robert asked whether the partnership hosting caliburn would be prepared
to offer a UML box as a replacement. Raymond found this an interesting
proposal and said he would take it to his partners. However, he pointed
out that they had not done this before and better service-level agreements
may be available from established providers.

Andrae pointed out that there were two main issues:
- High availability for email
- Recovery options for caliburn in event of failure
Robert pointed out both of these need to be in the context of best-effort
only. Timothy expanded on Andrae's points. He sees the issues as:
- Static content
- Dynamic content (incl member database)
- Mailing lists
- Email aliases

Raymond pointed out there was one other issue: namely the future of
the caliburn machine itself. This is owned by Miju Systems and so could
be taken away at any time. It is a signifant cost of Raymond, Bruce, and
Mark (around $800.00/year), only one of whom is in Brisbane right now
and so will always be treated on a best effort basis. Speaking personally,
Raymond would be keen to move caliburn elsewhere.

There was involved discussion about how to achieve our goals. Agreed that
the ideal would be to return to the days of having two machines capable of
acting as primaries. Failing that, enough to have some sort of cold-failover
capability on caliburn.

Took the idea of 'nodes' for email further. Seems likely it would be possible
to make it very easy for members to offer them selves as delivery-capable
MXes. These MXes would pull aliases and mailing list details from a central
machine (caliburn). There would need to be some sort of facility to tell
machines to do an update. It seemed to the meeting that making it easy for
people to provide this service would be the best way to achieve higher
availability for email.

ACTION: System Administrators to plan and implement the ability to supply
        drop-in support nodes for delivery of mail to aliases and lists.
ACTION: System Administrators to develop cold failure strategy for dynamic
        content, databases, etc
ACTION: System Administrators to keep Timothy Hitchens in loop as he has
        expericence in these areas.

Robert Brockway raised issue that not all traffic relevant to HUMBUG's
System Administrators was being sent to all System Administrators. Noted
that there were probably other such problems for other people assisitng
the club (eg ex-executive members). Should be a closed list (ie subject
to approval by executive) but easy to get on to.

ACTION: Create a closed (exec approved) Mailman list for executive,
        system administators, office holders, ex-executive members, and others.

David Seikel asked if there was too much work for System Administrators.
Robert Brockway (a HUMBUG sys admin) did not think so.

Raymond raised again the issue of the physical caliburn machine. There is
not much the current executive can do one week out from an AGM. However,
it was agreed that this executive would recommend to futuer executives
that the caliburn server should be expected to go away in the short to
medium term. Future executives should treat this as inevitable.

Other business
--------------

As it is almost traditional, the Secretary raised the issue of
Incorporation. Thankfully, this was not discussed in depth.

Close
-----

As there was no other business the meeting closed at 11:47am.
-------------- next part --------------
                 MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MEETING OF HUMBUG
                           HELD 20 AUGUST 2004

Executive present:
	Mark Suter (President)
	David Seikel (Vice-President)
	Timothy Hitchens (Treasurer)
	Raymond Smith (Secretary)
	Matthew Sellers (Librarian)

Apologies:
	Ben Fowler
	Clinton Roy
	Tony Bilbrough

The meeting opened at 6:06pm.

Outstanding Items
-----------------

The Secretary apologies for not having notes of the previous meeting
available. Going on the memory of the executive, we discussed
outstanding items.

Membership Database is still a work in progress. Linux Australia's
MemberDB has been selected for this purpoe. Some problems with
privileges. Mark noted that suexec is possible if that helps. There may
be some short-term need to provide htaccess based controls to the web
interface.

No work has been done on picking up new promotional items. Not work has
been done on promotional 'mind mapping'.

HUMBUG Photos: Some resistance to sending photos to Clinton Roy; although
most people happy. Was thought that perhaps people misunderstood this was
for Clinton to use in his role as webmaster. Therefore, decided to create
an alias 'photos at humbug.org.au' for this purpose.

ACTION ITEM: Mark to create new alias photos at humbug.org.au pointing to
             webmaster at humbug.org.au
ACTION ITEM: Mark to send email to announce.

Problems at Meetings: Warez, Porn, and Cracking

There have been complaints (again) about porn and warez being distributed
at HUMBUG meetings. Both of these topics have been dealt with by previous
resolutions, indeed porn was banned by a resolution of the membership at
an AGM, but it seems we need to resolve to enforce these resolutions.

Some discussion of using drift to shame people. However it was felt that
this might just encourage people.

David Seikel has noticed attacks against cluster.meeting.humbug.org.au.
In particular a Nessus probe against his box for 14 minutes at the previous
meeting. No way this can be construed as anything but an attack. As with
porn, so too has cracking been outlawed at HUMBUG.

Noted that our usage policy is not up to date. Mark thought it was and
will check. Timothy suggested getting people to explicitly sign the T&C.
Raymond opposed because membership renewal season is soon anyway: we could
add such a signature to the membership procedure. Agreed we would have copies
of the T&C on hand for people to sign: we keep the signed copy and give them
a copy for their own records. This should be done before issuing cards --
exec member needs to make sure they read the T&C.

ACTION: Mark to make sure that the club's references to UQ's T&C are up to date
ACTION: Mark to email Timothy the re;relevant sections of these policies
ACTION: Timothy to print these up for purposes above. (Need about 200.)
ACTION: Raymond to write up the membership procedure.

Mark Suter moved that:

   HUMBUG reaffirm its longstanding policy that unauthorised copying
   (warez), pornography, and cracking are unacceptable activities at
   HUMBUG meetings. This will be made more explicit to members when
   joining or renewing. Executive members will exercise their power
   to remove people from meetings to enforce this policy.

The motion was seconded by Raymond Smith and carried unanimously.

There followed some discussion of implementation detail. Decided not to
send out an email regarding this. It will be made clear as part of the
membership renewal process.

Some follow-on discussion about exact meaning of Warez. Does this mean
we ban SuSE? Consensus was of course not, but members must respect the
licensing of commercial distributions.

The issue of Windows was raised. Constitution and practice mean you
are not supposed to use it except for a legitimate purpose (such as
installing a Unix). Mark asked: exactly what problems are Windows people
causing? Timothy felt that the trouble makers were probably using
bandwidth to download contraband such as Warez and Porn. We need to remind
people that the club is about Unix and they should help people they see
running Windows by getting them to install Linux. Ideally this will be
self-policing.

ACTION: Raymond to email announce to request that members make an
        effort to politely encourage Windows users to the Light-side.

Traffic at Meetings
-------------------

David Seikel asked about traffic at meetings. Mark had mentioned an
effect of his machine on meeting traffic (ie reduction). Mark said
that he does not have stats per se, he merely noticed some trends
looking over log files. Suggested that David could work this out
from his own download logs, or was welcome to process content of
logs himself. Some worries about anonymity: to be addressed by
Mark before sending.

ACTION: Mark Suter to provide David Seikel with hydra's logs
        suitably anonymised.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Raymond provide a description of this lecture series: it is a
series of introductory Computer Science lectures given by the
authors of the famous book of the same title. Is of interest
as this is a set text at UQ this year. We could present it
whenever we did not have a talk.