[H-ANNOUNCE] Upcoming talks: SICP lecture series

Ben Fowler bjf at bjf.id.au
Sat Sep 18 03:53:21 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Recently, some members of HUMBUG (who are studying programming
languages) suggested that for HUMBUG meetings that have no prior talks
scheduled, we should screen the excellent MIT-produced lecture series,
'Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs', named after the
classic computer science text.

So for each HUMBUG meeting from the 9th of October [1] inclusive (the
meeting after the AGM), we'll be screening a single lecture at 5pm.
Each lecture runs for about an hour, and will be timed to finish up at
about the time which people go to get dinner.

These videos are of interest especially to beginning programmers [2],
and to more advanced students wishing to learn about Lisp and functional
programming.

If has any concerns or suggestions, please feel free to post to the
HUMBUG Talks mailing list or write to the Talks Maintainer.

-warmest regards,

Ben.

[1] I will not be attending the meeting on this day due to prior
committments.
[2] Apparently, there are IT subject at UQ using 'Structure and
Interpretation of
     Computer Programs'; I'll be contacting ITEE to let them know of our
plans, in
     case any of their students or academics are interested in showing up.

--
 Ben Fowler <bjf at bjf.id.au>
   pgp keyid: 59533278, FFDE6AE7 [revoked]

 "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
                                   atrocities"  -- Voltaire