[H-ANNOUNCE] Tighter Security at UQ

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Tue Jul 24 06:24:24 EDT 2001

[ Humbug *Announce* list.  This list is moderated, please send useful  ]
[ replies to the originator of this message, or the general/chat lists ]

Greetings fellow members,

The University of Queensland has recently suffered a number of thefts of
computer equipment from the St Lucia Campus. The University has called for
an increased level of vigilance on the part of UQ staff with respect to
computer equipment especially during the ours of 6pm to 6am.

It should be obvious that a side effect of this for HUMBUG is likely to be
an increased chance of being challenged by UQ security personnel when
carrying computer equipment around the campus.

While we do not forsee any great difficulties, the executive committee has
contacted UQ security to ask how we can work with them to minimise
potential misunderstandings on both sides. We will report their answers to
the this list as soon as we have them.

In the meantime all members should ensure that they have their HUMBUG
membership card and some other form of id on their person. If you have
lost your membership card please contact an executive member to have a new
one printed.

See you next HUMBUG!

Raymond Smith
Secretary of HUMBUG 2000/2001              mailto:secretary at humbug.org.au
Home Unix Machine - Brisbane User Group    http://www.humbug.org.au/

-
* This moderated list (announce) is handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au.
* Subscribe/unsubscribe requests should be sent to there in the message body.