[H-ADMIN] [H-GEN] Planet Humbug - time to die?

John Keogh john at keogh.cc
Fri Apr 12 02:07:43 UTC 2019

Or we could promote it's use and encourage people to contribute?

---- On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 13:08:48 +1000 Russell Stuart <russell-humbug at stuart.id.au> wrote ----

On Thu, 2019-04-11 at 11:48 +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> I am about to propose the end of Planet Humbug. The reasons follow.

> If you will be very distressed by this, please reply in the very near

> future (preferably direct to me) with reasons to keep it alive.

> The main reason for killing it off  is that nothing new has appeared

> on it since 21 January 2018 — more than a year — and nobody has

> noticed or complained.

> What has happened is that the planet runner utility has been run

> every 15 minutes and has generated a failure email each time, so that

> there are now 34,074 such messages (amounting to over 13 million

> lines) in a mailbox that nobody reads.

> So, can we kill it off?

The root issue is the planet software doesn't work in Debian stretch.

I'm not sure why - we use the same software Debian uses for it's own

planet site.

The hope was it would spring into life when we moved to the next

version of Debian.  As it happens that is not that far away. If people

think that is worthwhile we can just disable the cron job for now.

However, bugger all people post to blogs now, and the number seems to

keep dropping.  I think killing it is probably the correct course of

action.

mailto:General at lists.humbug.org.au