[H-ADMIN] [Announce] Linux Australia update - summer 2017 - events, new Council, and more

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Tue Jan 31 05:29:12 AEST 2017

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out. AFAIK there's no user group in Mackay, but the
people who would know would be the Brisbane user group (I know it's a
huge distance b/w Brisbane and Mackay, but if anyone knows it will be
this group).

I've CC'd them to this email.

Kind regards,

Kathy

On 30/01/17 17:26, Mike Newman wrote:

> Thanks Kathy,
> I am right on the periphery of Linux in other words I know virtually
> nothing but am interested in Linux CNC especially.
> I probably need to attach to a user group, is there anyone in Mackay Qld.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Newman
>
> On 30/01/2017 10:01 AM, "Linux Australia President"
> <president at linux.org.au <mailto:president at linux.org.au>> wrote:
>
>     Hi everyone,
>
>     Hoping that everyone who was able to join us for linux.conf.au
>     <http://linux.conf.au> 2017 in Hobart had safe and pleasant
>     journeys home, and again a huge thank you to Chris and the
>     #lca2017 team, Speakers, volunteers and delegates for another
>     exciting, mind-stretching LCA. For those who weren't able to join
>     us, you might have missed out on the news that the Rusty Wrench
>     [0] this year was jointly awarded to 'The Michaels' - Michael
>     Davies and Michael Still - for their outstanding contribution to
>     our community through their leadership of the LCA Papers Committee.
>
>     Speaking of which, the Papers Committee would love to hear your
>     thoughts and suggestions on the topics that you'd like to see next
>     year - tag them on Twitter with #lcapapers [1] or email
>     papers-chair at linux.org.au <http://papers-chair@linux.org.au>.
>
>     Next year, linux.conf.au <http://linux.conf.au> 2018 heads to
>     Sydney's centrally-located UTS Ultimo campus with the theme of
>     'It's a bit of history repeating', and we're super excited to see
>     what Bruce Crawley, James Polley and the team will deliver after
>     memorable events there in 2001 and 2007. They're on the lookout
>     for some team members, so check out their site at [2].
>
>     We're currently evaluating LCA2019 bids, and I'd especially like
>     to thank Hugh Blemings and Josh Stewart for their efforts, and the
>     as-yet-unnamed LCA2019 bid teams in this regard.
>

>             Other event news
>
>     In other Linux Australia events news, we're delighted to report
>     that DrupalGov is happening again this year in Canberra on March
>     27th, and big thanks to Si Hobbs, Rosie Gooch and the team for
>     their excellent work to date [3].
>
>     It's likely that Joomla Day will run in Sydney in June, under the
>     leadership of Tim Plummer. Expect to hear more on this in due
>     course [4].
>
>     PyconAU this year remains in Melbourne, running August 3-8 under
>     the leadership of Richard Jones, and we're again excited for
>     another hallmark event. The Call for Special Events is now open [5].
>
>     DrupalSouth is heading to Wellington late this year, and we'll
>     bring you more updates as they unfold.
>
>     We're currently in discussions with members of the WordCamp and
>     WordPress community around how we can continue to work together,
>     and again we'll keep you informed.
>
>     We haven't yet received bids for Open Source Developers'
>     Conference this year, and would warmly welcome bids for this event.
>
>     If you have ideas for other events which fit within Linux
> [...]

Kathy Reid
President
Linux Australia

0418 130 636