[H-ADMIN] [H-SASIG] Email bounces and unsubscriptions

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Fri Dec 9 19:18:09 EST 2016

On Fri, 2016-12-09 at 22:08 +1000, Raymond Smith wrote:
> I'm in the same boat as Brad. There are quite a few places I need to
> update before we shutdown the @humbug.org.au. I would suggest a
> phased shutdown. Also, the alias seems to be getting to my Google
> Apps mailbox. Is it just gmail.com that fails?

No.  We are currently SC-001'ed by Microsoft too.  (Why waste bandwidth
on lots of plain English words like Google does when you can put it
into one utterly indecipherable 6 character code?)  But no one with a
Microsoft account has complained, so I'm ignoring them.

I regularly have to fix problems like this in my day job so there is no
problem getting rid of the SC-001's.  But step 1 is to find the cause
and fix it, so they have nothing to complain about.  In this case is
people are getting SPAM delivered to them via their humbug aliases.

So ...

Shutting them down would go something like this:

   1. Send an email to general@ and all existing alaises saying we will
      shutting them down in one month unless we hear from them.  Repeat
      sending said email every to the aliases every week.
   2. Shut down those who haven't replied or don't care. I am assuming
      that will be almost all.  If there is more than 10 I'll need a new
      plan.
   3. See what happens.  If the SPAM goes away we don't have a problem,
      otherwise advise people who are getting SPAM they will have to do
      something about it as it is compromising Humbug's ability to stay in
      contact with it's members.