[H-ADMIN] Paying for hosting via PayPal

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sat Apr 2 08:55:01 EDT 2016

On Sat, 2016-04-02 at 21:56 +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> No, were are OK. We have been using it for less than a month, so we
> had USD$1.29 left.  I've paid for the additional 7 months now
> (USD$35). It left AUD$2.69 in our PayPal account, which isn't too
> bad.  At a 0.75 exchange rate it would have been AUD$4.

Oh, and I should also add that last meeting Gaz asked about the cost of
hosting.  As you know he ponders things out loud for a long time, and I
was attempting to teach myself Rust at that time.  Clever guy, that
Gaz. I found this for him:

   https://lowendbox.com/blog/openvirtuals-16year-openvz-256mb-ram-90gb
-hd-1tb-bw-in-atlanta/

It turns out for USD$20/yr, fixed for life, provides we get what we are
getting now from Digital Ocean for USD$60/yr.  Well, maybe, because
Digital Ocean is more of a known quantity.

I've personally signed up because my current USA VPS costs me
USD$60/yr, and I'm a sucker for cheap crap.  It's worked well for the
past 96 hours.  Crissic worked well when we signed up of course, but
only for 2 years.

USD$20/yr is a 50% discount rate for marketing purposes.  I imagine it
will expire at some time. I don't know when - maybe soon, maybe not.

It turned out moving the Humbug was very easy, so I can easily do it
again. So I'm asking the Exec and Sasig if we should move again, as it
MAY save us money in the long term.  Note we have just paid for 7
months hosting on Digital Ocean, so we lose in the short term.  But at
12 months on we are ahead.  And we don't really lose the credits at
Digital Ocean.  They stay around forever, so we can switch back if it
all turns to shit.

I vote yes for the move.