[H-ADMIN] Pine Rivers Computer Club computer Seminar. 2016

matt matheist76 at westnet.com.au
Mon Apr 20 06:27:39 EDT 2015

Hi Geoff, Dennis, other members of Pine Rivers Computer Club and the
Humbug elite,

In relation to the suggestion that you form a new northside Linux group
if you want to go down that route I, and possibly other Humbug members,
would be happy to help out where we can.  I would advise you to check
out Linux Australia (LA) which is the national umbrella group. Their
event support page (http://linux.org.au/linux-australia-event-support)
would be a good place to start finding out how you may go about starting
such a group if that is the decision you come to.

On the subject Linux activism we really haven't done much in that area.
Humbug finds itself more of a social and conference organising group
than a political power. That is something that I know you have had a lot
more experience with than myself and possibly a lot of other members at
Humbug. However if you do need help just ask and we will see what we can
do. That said there is a sub committee of LA that is geared towards such
action and it might be best to find out what they are involved with or
do they have any advise.

One that note there are some very good talks online about opensource,
Linux and government. At this years Linux Conference there was a very
good talk about one person's, Michael Cordover, effort in getting the
source code to software used in the Senate Elections called Easy Count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUM1mUMurg . There are others but you
will need to dig around to find them.

Matt