[H-ADMIN] Request for help

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Wed May 21 03:00:23 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 16:24 +1000, Lloyd Lacey wrote:
> While I noted the "back door" map on your web site I have contacted UQ
> Parking services who nominated parking in Services Avenue - I will suss the
> location out before then.

The map shows the only door into the building.  We have a map because
about 9 in 10 people can't find the building on the first go.  If you
get lost, my contact details are here:

  http://www.humbug.org.au/

> Do I need to contact Donna to let her know there is an "intruder" coming
> with a request for assistance?

Nope.  Visitors are welcome - in fact encouraged.

> How much of my system do I need to bring:
> Box only?
> Mouse, keyboard (it is a wireless one);
> Screen?

Don't assume we have anything bar network access.  Whatever we have on
the day are is brought by members, and who attends varies.  Most use
laptops, and so don't need a screen or keyboard.

So yes, bring your screen and keyboard, and whatever else you computer
needs (eg power cords).  You can drive a car to within a few meters of
the front door to unload.

It sounds like you may be asking someone to do major surgery on your
disk drive.  That always risks losing information.  Personally, I would
bring a backup drive.  The size depends on how much information you have
on your hard disk.

If you have to purchase one, up to 64GB a USB Flash drive is cheapest,
eg at Umart (www.umart.com.au):
  16GB - $12
  32GB - $24
  64GB - $48
Thereafter an external HDD is cheapest:
 500GB - $55.

> I can also bring the original Linux DVD - Mandrake Linux 9.2 - just so we
> know what we are dealing with.

That bit isn't really needed.  UQ had a fast internet connection, and
Linux downloads are free.