[H-ADMIN] Regarding installation of PC-BSD/FreeBSD

Daniel Feeney lordandeis at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 21 23:19:31 EDT 2012

To the guys and girls at Humbug. My name is Daniel. I am a big fan of Unix-based operating systems. I have been using Linux (read Ubuntu) for a year and a half now. But I would like to try either FreeBSD or PC-BSD. I have managed to successfully install PC-BSD (9.0) on a couple of occasions previously but have been disappointed in its apparently slow installation of packages (I believe they are called 'pbi's'). I was wondering why this might be the case. Am I missing something? Perhaps I am using the wrong mirrors to download from. It is just so painfully slow. I apologize if I am not being specific enough. I do have a six year old DELL Latitude D520 with a 1.6ghz Intel Centrino Duo processor with approx 3 GB of RAM. I thought that might be part of the problem, but as  I have had relatively no trouble with Ubuntu, I figure that it must be something else that I am missing. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read my email. Again I apologize if I was
 not able to clarify the problem enough.

Yours Sincerely, Daniel Feeney.