[H-ADMIN] Librarian's report

Greg Black gjb at yaxom.com
Thu Aug 18 21:45:06 EDT 2011

The main news is the move of humbug.org.au from a Linode in Fremont, USA
to another Linode in London, UK this week. Apart from slow updates of
the DNS due to long TTLs that weren't changed before the move, the new
setup seems to be functioning normally. The df results are a bit odd,
but I haven't had time to find out why.

In June, we saw:

$ df -h
 /dev/xvda              12G  4.3G  7.4G  37% /

Now, we have:

$ df -h
 /dev/xvda              20G   12G  8.4G  58% /

So we have a bigger space allocation, but the 'used' amount seems to
have tripled. Perhaps we should look into that.

Backups: according to the logs and the lack of whining from the backup
scripts, all is going as it should.

The state of the installed software is shown here:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  bind9 bind9utils dnsutils libbind9-50 libisccc50 libisccfg50 liblwres50
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.

I don't know if we want to do anything about the packages that have been
held back, but we should probably also discuss that.

Cheers, Greg