[H-ADMIN] Fwd: Linux Home Server HOWTO and HUMBUG

Miles Brennan miles at brennan.id.au
Sun Jan 10 01:57:12 EST 2010

Yes I know what you mean, you can't force / guarantee effort in a social
/ volunteer organisation - now where'd I leave my whip... :-)

I'm not sure how connected HUMBUG is to UQ / QUT, but perhaps offering
students the ability to maintain it under "project credit" against their
degrees - that was in effect how I initially wrote it with Mark Looi.

Perhaps with some guidance from senior HUMBUG members / executives, uni
students could take it on each semester to maintain and build the
document into something more interesting - bring it up in currency, add
extra chapters, formatting, translations, perhaps even organising a
pocketbook to be printed to be handed out at meets / fairs. This would
definitely give students an intro to technical writing and supporting
open source platforms. If they do well and we accept their changes, they
could be added to an official list of maintainers and add the project to
their resumes etc..... This would create a greater tie between HUMBUG
and IT Students ???   This option would suit external students in remote
studies maybe?

I'm just scratching my chin at ideas....

Regards,
Miles