[H-GEN] Brisbane's timezone

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Apr 3 00:54:04 EDT 2008

On 2008-04-03, Ted Percival wrote:

> For a while it has bugged me that Glibc calls Brisbane's timezone "EST"
> instead of "AEST". One of the reasons cited for leaving it as EST is
> that popular usage indicates a preference for "EST". I'm unconvinced, so
> I'd like to do a quick straw poll:
>
> Would you consider Brisbane's timezone to be called "AEST" or "EST"?

It doesn't matter what people here (or on any other mailing list) think,
you can't change it.  If you want the history, read the archives of the
tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov mailing list where this question has been flogged
to death many times over the years.  You have to convince them, most
particularly ADO, to get it changed.  Nobody has ever succeeded, for
what can be understood to be perfectly good reasons.

Greg